Friday, July 07, 2006

Post - July 4th comments

A couple of thoughts about our celebrations of the past few days...

  • I like to get an idea of local political campaigns by their presence at obvious events (parades, fairs, pancake breakfasts etc.). It certainly isn't a complete picture but I do believe that when you begin to see one candidate clearly more visible it makes a difference. Many, including Wigderson, saw the writing on the wall in the mayors race for this exact reason. At the Waukesha parade I met Bill Kramer and saw volunteers from the Green campaign and the Dennis Krueger campaign. Curiously, I saw no candidates at the fireworks. I've signed a number of nomination papers at most of the fireworks shows I've attended in the past. Perhaps everyone has enough signatures.

  • Mike from Spring City Chronicles touched on a great subject. Why can everyone fly a flag to show patriotism but simply cannot tolerate fireworks? I spoke to a police officer on the night of the 4th who told me the police had spent all day following up on dozens and dozens of calls on fireworks DURING THE DAY! I understand the frustration of bottle rockets at 2 am... but in the middle of the day on the holiday itself? My goodness. At night, a County Sheriff came by at the fireworks and politely told my daughter to put out her sparkler. Apparently, last year a bare-foot child stepped on a hot sparkler and burned his/her foot. Her parents promptly sued the County. Sheriffs, in turn, were told to crack down this year even though they said they felt like smucks doing it. I've got an idea... have your kid wear shoes when they are running around after dark.

  • I was really disappointed to see the parade have to bring in a marching band from Whitnall High School when their are four great high school bands in Waukesha. North always seems to be at the parades... but were is South, West and CMH? If you want community support...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com