Sunday, February 25, 2007

Oscars

A few thoughts on tonight's awards...

Lead Actor

Will win- Forest Whitaker "The Last King of Scotland"

Should win- I can't pick Whitaker because I didn't see the movie. Although the movie was nothing to write home about, Ryan Gosling's performance in "Half Nelson" was stirring. I'll go with him.

Supporting Actor

Will win- Eddie Murphy "Dreamgirls"

Should win- Murphy. Wahlberg was the overshadowed by every other male actor in "The Departed". Arkin's role, in my opinion, was not very special.

Lead Actress

Will win- Helen Mirren "The Queen".

Should win- OK... The movie wasn't the greatest. Yes, she's had bigger roles. But Meryl Streep's transformation into superwitch overshadows the field here. Outstanding performance by an outstanding actress in "The Devil wears Prada".

Supporting Actress

Will win- Jennifer Hudson "Dreamgirls"

Should win- Cate Blanchett in "Notes in a scandal".

Director

Will win- Martin Scorcese "The Departed"

Should win- I have no clue how the general public should rate directors. I'll hold off until Best Picture which, to me, is really the same thing.

Best Picture

Will win- Hollywood likes to give awards for careers. It's a night for Scorcese. "The Departed" wins again.

Should win- This year's list is a bit uninspiring. "Sunshine" was cute but nothing more. I didn't see Iwo Jima, so maybe in a month I'll hedge my bet. But it seems to me that "The Departed" is the best in a mediocre bunch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com